Make August 29th a special evening by joining us for Journey of Hope “at home" AND by preparing some easy, special treats.
Based on the colors of the United Ability logo, these hors d’oeuvres and beverages bring a diversity of flavor while allowing you to save your energy for enjoying them, instead of making them.
Blueberry “Cheesecake" Bites
- 12 individual graham cracker pieces (or 3 large graham crackers)
- 4 wedges The Laughing Cow Creamy Original Swiss (or Creamy Light Swiss)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) honey or agave nectar
Spread about 1/3 of a cheese wedge atop an individual graham cracker.
Top with a few fresh blueberries.
Drizzle with a teaspoon of honey just before eating.
Corn and Colorful Pepper Salsa served with Blue Corn Tortilla Chips
- 2 C Corn Kernels (fresh, frozen, or canned)
- 1/4 C Sweet Onion minced
- 1/3 C Orange or Yellow Bell Pepper minced
- 2 Tbs + 1 tsp Lime Juice
- 3 Tbs Cilantro or Parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper optional
- OPTIONAL: Jalapeño to taste
- Bag of Blue Tortilla Chips (regular are also good)
In a large mixing bowl add all ingredients. Mix well, taste for salt adjustment.
Refrigerate for at least an hour before sharing so the flavors can marry. Up to 24 hours, even better.
Mini Banana Cream Pies
- 1 (16.5-ounce) roll Pillsbury refrigerated sugar cookies
- 1 (3.4-ounce) box banana cream pudding, prepared according to package directions and chilled
- 1 banana
- whipped cream for topping
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a mini or regular muffin tin.
Divide sugar cookie dough into number of muffins tin will hold and roll each piece into a ball. Place dough in prepared muffin tin cups.
Bake dough until golden brown and set. Remove from oven.
If center is not deep enough, carefully use the bottom of a shot glass to make depressions in each cup BEFORE cooling.
After cooling 10 minutes, use a butter knife to carefully remove cookie cups from muffin tin. Transfer cookie cups to a cooling rack and cool completely.
Slice banana and place in bottom of each cup. Spoon a generous teaspoon of chilled pudding into the center of each cookie cup. Top with a dollop of whipped cream.
Baked Carrot Fries
- 2 Carrots – peeled and cut into the shape of fries
- 2 Tbsp Panko bread crumbs
- Salt – as needed
- Pepper – as needed
- Dry basil – to taste
- Garlic powder – pinch
- 1 tsp Oil
Preheat the oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit . Place a parchment paper or greased aluminum foil on a baking tray
In a wide bowl add all the listed ingredients and mix well.
Add the carrots and mix to ensure carrots are covered.
Spread evenly on baking sheet. Bake for around 14- 18 minutes. Broil for 2-3 minutes or more based on the texture you prefer.
Cheddar Bacon Ranch Pinwheels
- (2) 8 oz. Packages of Cream Cheese
- 1/8 cup of Milk
- 1 – 1 1/4 Cups of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- (3) tsp. of Ranch Dressing Mix
- (1) Small Bag of Bacon Bits
- Handful of Chives (optional)
- Flour Tortillas
Take cream cheese out of the fridge and let it soften to room temperature.
Once softened, combine your cream cheese, bacon bits, milk, ranch dressing mix, shredded cheese, and chives in a large mixing bowl.
Blend all ingredients really well. You may need to add more milk, if cream cheese is too stiff.
Lay out one tortilla and spread a thin layer of the mixture onto the tortilla. Firmly roll up it up. Continue this process until all of your mixture is gone.
Refrigerate wraps for 30 minutes to an hour.
After refrigeration, cut the ends off of each wrap and slice into even segments with a sharp knife.
Red Cabbage and Broccoli Slaw
- 1 (12 oz) package broccoli slaw mix
- 1 cup dried cranberries or cherries or raisins
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted sunflower seeds
- ½ a small head thinly sliced red cabbage
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
In a large bowl, add the store-bought broccoli slaw mix, dried fruit, sunflower seeds and shredded cabbage. Stir to mix the ingredients.
2In a small bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, olive oil, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Pour this over the slaw mixture and toss to fully coat. Cover the bowl and refrigerate up to 2 hours before serving.
- 3 ounces blue fruit punch
- 2 ounces 7UP
- 2 teaspoons sweetened lime juice
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- OPTIONAL: red gummy fish for garnish
Additional for adults, if desired:
2 ounces coconut rum or vodka
Combine ingredients and stir.
Pour over ice.
- 6 oz. can frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 12 ice cubes
Additional for Adults, if desired:
2 oz. vodka
Combine all ingredients – EXCEPT ice – in a blender. Blend on high speed until smooth.
Add ice cubes (depending on the size of your ice cubes, you may want more or less. Start with 8-10).
Blend again until ice cubes are crushed and the drink is smooth and creamy. Serve immediately.
Purple Flip Flop
- 2 oz Pomegranate Juice
- 2 oz Pineapple Juice
- 4 oz Lemon-Lime Soda
Additional for Adults, if desired:
1 oz Vodka
1 oz Coconut Rum
Combine, stir, and pour over ice.