APPLICATIONS HAVE CLOSED FOR 2022
Applicants will be notified by May 20th whether they have been accepted or not.
We apologize but late applications cannot be considered.
Please be aware that plans for the 2022 GIG Summer Volunteer Program may change at any time due to community COVID circumstances.
If changes do occur, we will notify applicants/volunteers with full details as quickly as possible.
Application Period: January – May 6
All applicants will be notified (whether accepted or not) on May 20.
Orientation Dates: June 10 or 13
Volunteers MUST attend one of these sessions held 9am-10:30am at the Hand In Hand Early Learning Program.
Program Period: June 13 – July 29
Shifts will available 8am-11am and/or 2pm-5pm, Monday-Friday during the program period. (Volunteers are asked to serve a minimum of 5 total shifts.)
The GIG: Giving Is Good Summer Volunteer Program is an opportunity for teenagers…
- to learn about helping children with different levels of ability.
- to gain firsthand experience with early childhood education and rehabilitative therapies (i.e., physical, occupational, and speech) to explore potential career interests.
- who attended Hand In Hand to return and relive fond memories.
This program (formerly known as Jean Teens) has been a part of our organization for decades. In fact, many former teen volunteers have returned to work at United Ability or have enrolled their children in our services.
All GIG volunteers must meet the following requirements:
- Be a responsible, compassionate individual entering 8th – 12th Grades.
- Be comfortable interacting with children under the age of 5 and with individuals with disabilities.
- Commit to serving a minimum total of 5 shifts during the 7-week program.
- Attend 1 of 2 scheduled orientation training sessions before starting service.
- If accepted, submit schedule availability and pay $20 volunteer fee (covers t-shirt and other program items).
Volunteers serve in classrooms at our Hand In Hand Early Learning Program. Activities include:
- Assist with classroom lessons
- Participate in Water Play Days on the playground
- Assist Office Staff
- Help staff prepare lessons, supplies, etc.
Unfortunately, we can no longer accommodate orientations outside of the scheduled sessions.
All volunteers (returning and new) must attend orientation to ensure everyone is up-to-date on program operations and expectations.
All scheduling will be done online using When I Work (which may be accessed using a computer or cell phone app).
Each volunteer will be assigned ONE account. It is the responsibility of the parent and volunteer to determine how to manage schedule sign-up and notifications.
More details will be shared with an acceptance announcement.