Click links below for more information about each Volunteer Opportunity:
- GIG: Giving Is Good – Teen Summer Volunteer Program
- casual 4 ABILITY – T-shirt Order Assistance
- Gone Fishin’ – Outdoor day with our Adults and Children
Thank you for volunteering with United Ability! We appreciate you.
If you are interested in volunteering or in joining our Volunteer Notification email list, please contact Lee Thrash at (205) 944-3909 or firstname.lastname@example.org
GIG: Giving is Good is a summer volunteer program at United Ability where you have the opportunity to work with our staff and enjoy interacting with the amazing individuals in our programs. We will play ALOT, but most importantly we will learn about those living with disabilities and how to be advocates for them in school, at work and in life.
An FAQ with full details and application requirements are linked below for download.
Applications must be received by May 3, 2017.
Applications can be mailed or dropped off to our Administration building:
Attn: Lee Thrash – 100 Oslo Circle, Birmingham, AL 35211.
All GIG volunteers are required to attend one orientation session.
WHAT ARE SOME VOLUNTEER ROLES?
- Monitor the children at play and in the classroom
- Assist with mobility
- Partner with children in classroom activities/projects
- Partner during arts and crafts
- Organize classroom/toys/gym/library
- Monitor children during water days
- Read to/assist with reading activities
- Teachers assistants
- Occupational Therapists assistants
The majority of our volunteer positions will be with our Hand in Hand Early Learning Program with children living with and without disabilities age 12 months to 5 years old, but other opportunities can be found with our Adult Program, if preferred.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact Lee Thrash at 205-944-3909 or email@example.com.
For more information on our casual 4 ABILITY t-shirt fundraiser, click here.
Once all our team captains and other supporters have submitted their orders, we need your help to get the shirts and orders ready so everyone can go casual 4 ABILITY on April 28.
Between now and April 27, we will need volunteers for 2-3 hour shifts during business hours (9a to 5p, Monday – Friday) at our Administration Building (100 Oslo Circle, Birmingham 35211) to help with:
- Folding and Organizing shirt stock by size
- Bagging/Boxing orders according to each order form submitted and organizing for easy identification during pick-up
- Assist staff with locating fulfilled orders, confirming payment, and marking delivery during Pick-up Days
If you are interesting in signing up for a shift for any or all of these opportunities, please contact Jennifer Dowdle – firstname.lastname@example.org or (205) 944-3916.
Volunteers are needed May 15 and 16 (Adults will be gone fishin’ on May 15, Children on May 16) from 8 or 8:30am until 1pm to:
- assist with fishing
- manning arts and crafts tables
- overseeing the bouncy house
- serving food and drinks.
If you are interested in helping with the Adults’ day on May 15, please contact Janis Braue at email@example.com or (205) 943-5205.
If you are interested in helping with the Children’s day on May 16, please contact Kim Braasch at firstname.lastname@example.org or (205) 944-3940.