APPLICATION PERIOD IS NOW CLOSED –
Any applications received from now to next May will be held for consideration for Summer 2020
Application Period: January – May 1
Applications that are not received by May 1 or that are not complete may not be considered. All applicants will be notified (whether accepted or not) by May 17.
Orientation Dates: June 7, 10, 26
Program Period: June 10 – July 26
The GIG: Giving Is Good Summer Volunteer Program is an opportunity for teens entering the 8th – 12th Grades to do more with their summer. This program (formerly known as Jean Teens) has been a part of our organization for decades. In fact, many former teen volunteers have returned to work at United Ability or have enrolled their children in our services.
All GIG volunteers must meet the following requirements:
- Be a responsible, compassionate individual entering 8th – 12th Grades.
- Commit to serving a minimum total of 32 hours during the 7-week program.
- Attend 1 of 3 scheduled orientation training sessions before starting service.
- If accepted, submit schedule availability and pay $20 volunteer fee (covers t-shirt and other program items).
Volunteers serve in either our Hand In Hand Early Learning Program or LINCPoint Adult Day Program. Activities include:
- Assist with classroom activities such as art, music and other lessons
- Participate in Water Play Days on the playground at Hand In Hand
- Play sports and games modified to be more accessible at LINCPoint
- Assist Office Staff
- Help staff prepare lessons, supplies, etc.
Volunteers get to know the amazing participants in our programs, learn more about helping individuals with different ability levels, and have fun. For teens who may study education or rehabilitative therapy, this is a special firsthand experience with these fields.